International Divorces And Seeking Payments For Guardianship - Zukerman Law

International Divorces And Seeking Payments For Guardianship

As a parent in Canada, you want what’s best for your child. Guardianship can get tricky, though, especially if you find that your spouse wants to live in another country. For some families, the fact is that each spouse was from a different country, and that can make splitting time with the children even more difficult. As for child support payments, those can be judged based on two different countries’ laws, so how can you make sure you get what you need?

If your spouse is from the United States, then you may have to reach out to the Federal Office of Child Support Enforcement. You don’t need to be a citizen of the United States to reach out to the office for help with child support payments. Canada is a reciprocating country, which means it works with the United States to help international cases be resolved through the right international organizations.

If your ex-spouse is the custodial parent and lives in the United States, your ex will need to file for child support in the United States within his or her own state. That state then works with the agencies in Canada to arrange a payment service. In reverse, if you’re seeking compensation, then you need to file your claim through the Canadian courts and then have your lawyer speak with the appropriate international agency for child support payments.

Our website has more information on international divorces and what to do if you’re seeking out guardianship or payments from your ex. Even in complicated cases, there can be a simple resolution with the right help.


Stuart Zukerman

Stuart Zukerman, a graduate of the University of British Columbia, has over 32 years of experience in litigation with a focus on Family Law, Personal Injury, Wrongful Dismissal claims, and Collaborative Divorce & Mediation. He has extensive trial experience in divorce, child custody, spousal support, asset division, and ICBC injury claims. As an accredited Family Law Mediator, he helps resolve disputes without court intervention. Stuart has also authored papers on family law and lectured at CLE courses.